Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Face it

by Rick Nason, PhD, CFA

Partner, RSD Solutions Inc.

www.rsdsolutions.com

info@rsdsolutions.com

 

I was reading a very interesting Harvard Business Review article by Amar Bhide that I have been meaning to read for some time.  The article is titled “The Judgment Deficit” (HBR, September 2010, pp 44 - 53).  I will outline the article in my next blog as I believe it is an important article that has a lot of relevance for risk managers. 

The point I want to make in this blog is about a quote from futurist Paul Saffo that Bhide puts in his article.  The quote is: “Face it, innovation is an elite activity”.  What bull%$#^! was my first reaction.  And then I realized that we now depend on the almighty financial engineers and risk doctors (of which I am one) before we dare make a move.  Crap – he may be right was my second reaction.  Sad is how I currently feel.

No comments: