Monday, June 6, 2011

Bittersweet

by Rick Nason, PhD, CFA

Partner, RSD Solutions Inc.

www.RSDsolutions.com

info@RSDsolutions.com 

 

My previous blog talked about the Graduation ceremony for the Dalhousie MBA class which I am one of the Professors for.  The ceremony was for the first graduating class of the newly designed Corporate Residency MBA, which is a one of a kind program that I am especially proud to be a part of.

 

The students who graduated basically all took a huge gamble on entering into a very innovative program.  As with anything new and in uncharted territory, the downside risk was huge, while the upside risk was also great.  Fortunately the upside risk prevailed and I believe – based on my experience with several other MBA programs over the years, and with my work with financial institutions on their intake programs – that we have one of the best MBA programs in North America.

 

The graduation ceremony was particularly bittersweet for me.  I was thrilled to watch the students walk across the stage and be awarded their degree.  I am also very excited thinking about the wonderful careers that they will have.  They are an exceptionally talented bunch – the best MBA cohort I have been associated with in nearly 20 years of graduate level teaching that I have done.  I was also slightly sad to see them go.  I know I will keep in touch with many of them, but not having the opportunity to daily debate topics with them will be missed.

 

Risk management should also be a bittersweet exercise.  Risk managers should see the upside in every situation and not just dwell on the downside.  Risk management is a two-way street, although too often we focus on trying to turn it into a one-way street to ruin.

 

Meanwhile I have a short period of time to rest up.  The next cohort will be here in just over a month.  I can barely wait to see how they will match up and am tremendously excited about the thrills of working with them.

No comments: