Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Cats

by Rick Nason, PhD, CFA

Partner, RSD Solutions Inc

www.RSDsolutions.com

info@RSDsolutions.com

 

 

Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function

 

Garrison Keillor 

 

My Golden has a strict mathematical function: Food = Attention.  My wife’s cats (notice that I specifically label it as “not my cat”) are completely random in their behavior.  They have no function, mathematical or otherwise.  (Fortunately my wife does not read my blogs.)

 

In risk management we like to put mathematical functions on things (distributions for the more educationally advanced).  However risk events tend to be more like cats than Golden Retrievers. 

 

Risk events show us time and again that “Risks are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function”.

 

No comments: