Monday, January 16, 2012

Ben Bernbach

by Rick Nason, PhD, CFA

Partner, RSD Solutions Inc.,

www.RSDsolutions.com

info@RSDsolutions.com

 

 

I had a meeting earlier this week in the New York offices of advertising giant DDB.  I think all risk managers should take time to hang out with some creative types such as those that work at the iconic firm that many believe is part of the inspiration for the popular Mad Men TV show.

 

While waiting for my appointment to join the meeting, I had a chance to examine some of the original writings of Ben Bernbach, one of the founders of DDB.  A giant of the advertising industry he was a person who had a keen mind.  Reading his original writing, actually better described as random musings (from a page from one of his notebooks) was a walk back into the history of modern advertising as we know it.

 

While I was enjoying reading the page of Bernbach’s writings (in a framed display on the wall of the waiting room) there was one note he wrote that jumped out at me.  The note was; “research keeps you from thinking”.

 

What an applicable statement for risk management I thought.  Then I thought that the statement that “calculation keeps you from thinking” was also equally appropriate.  Are we as risk managers so busy researching and calculating that we forget to think?

No comments: