Monday, January 30, 2012

Jet Set

by Rick Nason, PhD, CFA

Partner, RSD Solutions Inc.

www.RSDsolutions.com

info@RSDsolutions.com

 

It is a Friday morning as I write this, and to be blunt I am procrastinating big time.  Probably not the best thing to be doing, but … well …, it is what it is.

As part of my productive procrastination I started reading the Wall Street Journal.  (At least it looks productive if my daughter happens to walk into my home office.)  In reading the Journal I rarely if ever look at the Lifestyle section, but today for some reason – perhaps in a quest to be even more thorough in my procrastination - I clicked to open up that section.

 

I started reading an article about private jets, and the quest by Thomas Flohr and his daughter to get their private jet business to the next level.  In reality I was reading the article because of the extreme lavishness (stupidity) of the arrangements for his daughter’s 18th birthday party.  (You need to read the article yourself to understand – here is the link:  http://tinyurl.com/78nvu9w)

 

In any case, I nearly finished the article, and just before closing I noticed the last line.  "We really are detail-obsessed," he (Thomas Flohr) says. "But the joy is seeing the big picture."

 

Back to risk management.  Are you detail obsessed, but have joy in seeing the big picture?  What a great operating philosophy for a risk manager.  Perhaps my time goofing off wasn’t wasted after all.

No comments: