Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Twitter Risk

by Rick Nason, PhD, CFA

Partner, RSD Solutions Inc.

www.RSDsolutions.com

info@RSDsolutions.com

 

 

With the title I suspect you thought I was going to blog today about the risks of having people within (and external to) your organization tweet about the organization.  I’m not – but probably will at some time in the future.

 

What I thought I would spout off on today is how Twitter is slowly changing our language patterns.  Expressing your thoughts in 140 characters or less is definitely having an effect on spelling and grammar.  However I believe the bigger effect is on how we think in terms of small, single, thought bits, rather than in more complex and nuanced ways.

 

I am obviously not the only one who thinks this.  For instance, the fact that there is a service called Longreads (www.Longreads.com) shows that others are realizing that our media (and our thoughts) are becoming more sound bites than biting.  (BTW – I highly recommend LongReads.  Great articles.)

 

Now back to my point about Twitter.  Encapsulating your thoughts in 140 characters or less is not all bad.  For one thing it forces you to be sharp and to the point.  It also forces you to cut out the unnecessary.  Struck and White would probably be big fans.  Here is the question – could you publish your risk results using Twitter?  Should you?

No comments: