Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Throwing Out PowerPoint 1

by Rick Nason, PhD, CFA

Partner, RSD Solutions Inc.

www.RSDsolutions.com

info@RSDsolutions.com 

 

This seems to be a week of creating presentations.  I like presenting, but creating presentations is not really my favorite activity.  All of my best presentations are bespoke and are designed to zig when the audience wants to (or needs to) zig, and to zag when that is what the situation calls for.  PowerPoint is a wonderful tool, but it locks you down into a linear path when sometimes the situation calls for more flexibility.

 

To that end I have gone in search of new presentation software.  One that will allow for a more non-linear approach.  I found one that I liked Prezi (www.Prezi.com), and will be testing it out in front of a live audience later this week.

 

Prezi is quite easy to use, but there is still a nagging worry in the back of my mind.  The point is that I know PowerPoint.  My audience knows PowerPoint and what to expect with PowerPoint.  I am not sure how they will react to a whole new presentation style?  How will I react to a whole new presentation style?  What if I make a mistake with the new presentation format? Will people laugh at me?  No one I know has used this software, and I have only seen the presentations with it on the internet – and we all know that they were probably edited a thousand times to make sure they ran smoothly.  Oh my, I can come up with a thousand different things that might go wrong.  Well, actually I can only come up with four or five things that might go wrong, but I am sure that there are at least a thousand things that might go wrong ….

 

Does the above paragraph of whining and useless worry sound like you and your risk team when it comes to trying something new?  I bet it does.  Times change, things change, people change, and organizations change.  You and your risk department also need to change.  Now – where is that Word Perfect file that I just downloaded from my Tandy computer?

 

1 comment:

PowerPoint said...

I think you should consider Prezi as an alternative, but PowerPoint can also be used if you have experience. There is a pptPlex addin for free that you can download for zooming presentations in PowerPoint.

Thanks