Friday, March 2, 2012

Throwing Out PowerPoint 2

by Rick Nason, PhD, CFA

Partner, RSD Solutions Inc.

www.RSDsolutions.com

info@RSDsolutions.com

 

In my previous blog I talked about changing over from PowerPoint to another presentation software.  There are several reasons for doing so, and to be frank a big part of the reason was to shake up my presentations.  We all need to make a change now and again to get our creativity mojo back.  (Am I dating myself by using the term “mojo”?)

 

PowerPoint is a great piece of software that has probably been abused more than anything else out there.  However there is no denying that it is a workhorse.

 

The one problem that I always had with PowerPoint though was the linearity.  It was one slide after another in a preprogrammed sequence.  It was hard to zig, when you needed to zig, and equally hard to zag when zagging was called for.

 

Risk management systems tend to be like that as well.  They tend to be workhorses for linear processes.  However risk is rarely linear.  Risk by definition zigs and zags.  Does your risk management system allow for you to zig and zag as well, or is it standard issue linear PowerPoint?

 

No comments: