Friday, June 8, 2012

Housecleaning

by Rick Nason, PhD, CFA

Partner, RSD Solutions Inc.

www.RSDsolutions.com

info@RSDsolutions.com

 

My wife started up the backyard fire pit and wanting to procrastinate from doing any real work, I thought I would knock off cleaning out my files and help her fire in the pit progress along.  Cleaning out file cabinets is hard for me.  I hate to part with articles as I am always sure that I will go back to them someday and need every scrap of paper I have ever read for an article, research project or client engagement. 

 

Therefore my cleaning was going slowly – until I came across a large set of documents that pertained to the mechanics of designing Basle II.  No real decision here.  While the history of Basle II will be studied for decades, and although there are many lessons to be learned – both good, but mostly bad – from Basle II, it is definitely time to move on. 

 

In fact it is time to move on with a lot of our risk thinking.  We have to focus more on stopping the next risk debacle rather than the last one.

No comments: