Monday, June 4, 2012

Risk Careers

by Rick Nason, PhD, CFA

Partner, RSD Solutions Inc.

www.RSDsolutions.com

info@RSDsolutions.com 

 

I just got off the phone with a young woman who is interested in a career in risk management.  She is being offered a position in a major financial institution’s capital markets sales and trading program, and was wondering what my opinion was on how this might impact on her chances for success in risk management.

 

For those of you that have read my blogs for a while, you know that I think one of the major deficiencies in risk management is that there is a disconnect between those who understand risk management, and those who understand operations (whether it be how the financial markets work, or how widgets get made and sold).  What are needed is more risk managers who understand how the front office works, and more front office staff that understand what risk managers are trying to accomplish.

 

In light of this I strongly encouraged this person to start her career in the front office as I believe that will make her a better risk manager in the long run.  Hopefully I did not steer her wrong.  I would be interested in the opinions of my blog readers on this.

 

Test: 7RKHFBHYN4UX 

No comments: