Monday, December 3, 2012

When the field is clear

By Rick Nason, PhD, CFA
Partner, RSD Solutions Inc.

I am writing this blog now instead of watching my beloved Steelers because of risk management – and no it is not about the risk management I talk about in this blog.  The incidence that forced me to turn off the TV and go to my office in order to prevent a heart attack was more straightforward than that.

“My” Steelers, playing their rivals Baltimore, were ahead in the game and moving the ball down the field.  The quarterback Charlie Batch threw a perfect strike downfield to wide open receiver at the Baltimore 40 yard line.  There was not a Baltimore defender within 15 yards and the receiver caught the ball with nothing but the goalposts between him and the end of the stadium.  He starts to run and I start to cheer.  A sure touchdown, a solid lead and full momentum into the fourth quarter.  He was so wide open even I could have run it in for a score.  But wait – coach said to put the ball in the other hand in order to prevent a fumble.  Well you now know how this ends …  the receiver goes to put the ball in his other hand as he is walking towards the end zone, and yup – he fumbles it.  Bats it away from himself is more like it.  Baltimore recovers, and on the following series scores a touchdown of their own and captures the momentum.

When the field is clear you have to run.  You cannot be worried about the minute things when the big picture is laid out perfectly for you.  Bad risk management – bad football.  At least I got my blogs done for the week. 

No comments: