Friday, February 8, 2013

Weather

By Rick Nason, PhD, CFA
Partner, RSD Solutions Inc

I have been on four different flights today – however I have not moved even 10 feet.  All of the flights that I have been booked on have been cancelled due to the weather.  I have an important set of meetings tomorrow with a client, and thus I booked a flight that went on the previous day – in part because I know these weather related travel delays occur. 

I have also looked at alternative routes, but as the destination city is where the weather delay is occurring that is not helping.

Experienced travelers know that the weather creates travel havoc.  Also, although they never get used to the weather related travel disruptions, experienced travelers also know that there is little that you can do about except make the best of it (for instance by getting caught up on your blog writing).

In risk management, we also have our equivalents of weather.  There are risk issues that we can plan for and that we can make contingency plans for, but in the end we ultimately sometimes just have to let things take their course.

No comments: