Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Airport Lounge

/*By Rick Nason, PhD, CFA
Partner, RSD Solutions Inc.*/

As I write this, I am sitting in an airport lounge.  My flight has been
cancelled.  I am on a later flight.  The later flight may be delayed –
not sure yet.  The only reason I am making this trip is because two months
ago I spent a day in the airport lounge as flight after flight got
cancelled.  This current trip is the make-up trip for a training course I
was contracted to run.  I sit and wait.  Yes, I am enough of an experienced
traveler to know that these things happen.  I have packed work with me so it
is not total dead-time (I am getting my weeks work of blogs done for
example.)  I also booked myself an early flight so I would have a higher
probability of getting to my destination on time in case there was a delay. 
However all of the contingency risk planning does not make it less
frustrating.  Sometimes in risk management, as in life, there is not much we
can do when circumstances go against us.  That is not bad risk management;
it is simply the way things happen.

No comments: