Friday, August 28, 2015

Annual Reviews

By Rick Nason, PhD, CFA
Partner, RSD Solutions Inc.
I guess it is official now; annual reviews suck.  Last week Accenture made the news by saying that they were dropping the practice of annual performance reviews of its staff.  Kind of rich for a consulting firm that generated a lot of consulting fees designing annual reviews for many of its clients.
In essence the argument is that annual reviews cause more harm than good – or at a minimum, cost more to conduct than they are worth.  Seems reasonable for most of the reviews that I have personally experienced in my working career.  The only type of effective review I ever had was the type where a manager told me my “number”; short, sweet and straight to the bank.
Annual risk reviews (quarterly, monthly, weekly, daily and even continuous real time) are still all the rage and fashion.  I am not sure that one wants to totally get rid of risk reviews.  However the recent debate about performance reviews leads to some interesting questions about risk reviews.  Such as, is your risk review process adding value?  Does what you are reviewing still need reviewing?  Does the risk review need to be updated to new realities?  Is your risk review process efficient?  All interesting risk questions.  Perhaps it is time to review the risk review.

No comments: