Sunday, March 20, 2011

How Bad

by Rick Nason, PhD, CFA

Partner, RSD Solutions Inc.

www.rsdsolutions.com

info@rsdsolutions.com

 

In my Enterprise Risk Management class I always assign a situation to my students and ask them to come up with the greatest imaginable risk scenario. This exercise is to get them to think creatively, expansively and outside of the box – three thinking traits that I strongly believe that risk managers must have, but seldom do.

I received an e-mail this week from one of my former ERM students. His e-mail was wondering that if I had assigned a Japanese nuclear power plant as the situation, would the class have come up with a situation as bad as what is currently happening?

It is a good question. Have the events in Japan got your risk team thinking if their scenario analysis is as creative, expansive and outside of the box as they should be?

 

No comments: