Monday, March 21, 2011

On Vacation

by Rick Nason, PhD, CFA

Partner, RSD Solutions Inc.

www.rsdsolutions.com

info@rsdsolutions.com 

 

Just got back from vacation.  Had a great time thank-you –- with the exception of one major event.  While tooling around Curacao on scooters, the couple my wife and I were traveling with flipped their scooter in a pothole at one of the island’s busiest intersections.  No long term serious injuries thankfully, but it did require an ambulance ride for both of them (and became a front page story). 

As we were following behind them when the accident occurred, both my wife and I got off of our scooters and went into action – as did many by-standers.  (The people of Curacao by the way are some of the friendliest people you will ever meet.) 

Later that night at our resort, after the hospital trip, the police reports, and the confirmation of no long term injuries (although it will be a bit before one of our friends is out of a wheelchair) I had a bit of time to debrief.  Here’s the interesting part.  As I am replaying the events in my head I could not help assessing things as (a) any normal person on vacation would, and (b) as a risk management professional.  I will leave it to you dear reader to figure out what the differences (if any) were between my two different sets of analysis were, but I think it does raise an interesting question: “Do you as a manager think of things differently when you have your ‘manager-hat’ on than you do when you have your ‘risk-manager’ hat on?”  Should you be thinking differently?

No comments: