Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Old Favourites

by Rick Nason, PhD, CFA

Partner, RSD Solutions Inc.

www.RSDsolutions.com

info@RSDsolutions.com

 

 

I am writing this blog late on a Sunday night as I wait for a connecting flight to get home from an international trip.  I am tired, exasperated with the hassles of travel, and hungry yet not wanting to face another airport meal.  Those of you that travel a lot know the drill all too well.  (The flip side is that I have a really cool job as a consultant, and I get to meet a lot on interesting people who give me great ideas and inspire me.)

 

While I sit in the airport lounge and think of all the things I have to do, I am reminded for some strange reason of my university days.  It must be the Sunday night fatigue, and combined with the time of year of the semester end with all of its stresses with exams and term projects coming due.  In any case, I am tired, but have a long layover, and thus I need to get myself to some level of reasonable work efficiency.

 

Thinking of my university days, I thought I would pick out an old album that I used to listen to while I did my university work.  In my university days I always had energy (youth is an amazing thing) and somehow I always got things done. Perhaps instead of the youth it was the music?!  At this stage it can’t hurt I thought.  I cued up an old university album on my iPad and you know what – the music did revive me, and I am now starting to have a productive evening again.

 

Listening to an old album inspires old feelings – most of which were good feelings.  Indeed the music is inspiring me and I am being quite productive.  However it got me wondering if as risk managers we too go back to the old tried and true when creativity and energy for new solutions is lacking.  Old favorites are great for a short spurt, but do we want to constantly and consistently live in the past?  Or is the old music and the old way of doing things invigorating because it was great and continues to be great?  An interesting double sided coin.

No comments: