Monday, December 5, 2011

Why

by Rick Nason, PhD, CFA

Partner, RSD Solutions Inc.

www.RSDsolutions.com

info@RSDsolutions.com

 

 

As a kid I was a royal pain (some – maybe most – of the people who know me now might say that not a lot has changed).  I was always asking my parents why this and why that.  Everything was one big question to me.  Fortunately my parents were patient and answered my questions and then when fatigue set in they would send me to the bookstore.  My addiction with questions is probably what led me into studying science at school.

 

Kids in general tend to be very curious.  They ask lots of questions, and they ask lots of layers of questions. Kids think their parents are smart, as their parents (and teachers) have answers.  It is fun being a kid – ask a question and get an answer.  Now as a parent I realize that sometimes the answers were not quite as accurate and true as I originally thought. 

 

Do we as risk mangers ask lots of questions – or do we try to play the role of grownups in always having an answer (no matter how flimsy or inaccurate)?  Count how many times today you ask why, and how many times you give an answer to someone else’s question (implied or explicit).  What is your question to answer ratio?  Are you a parent or a kid?  Which should you be as a risk manager?

No comments: