Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Francis Bacon

by Rick Nason, PhD, CFA

Partner, RSD Solutions Inc.

www.RSDsolutions.com

info@RSDsolutions.com 

 

Francis Bacon was one of the pre-eminent philosophers of the Renaissance.  (I hope that one of my University philosophy profs is smiling that I remembered that.)  Gifted in many fields, he epitomized the concept of “renaissance man”.  He likely would have failed as a risk manager – but that is another story.

 

The thing I am writing this blog about is to introduce you (reintroduce you to those who remember more of their university philosophy class than I do) to a quote of Sir Bacon.  That quote is “He that will not apply new remedies must expect new evils”. 

 

Risk management has lots of both new and old remedies.  Extrapolating Francis Bacon, does that mean that we must also expect lots of new evils?

No comments: